A dot matrix printer is also known as an impact matrix printer as it is a device based on impact printing. It consists of a print head that moves back and forth and prints using impact, striking the ink-soaked ribbon against the paper. The dot matrix printers create characters on the paper by creating a series of dots spaced closely together.
In this case, the printing involves mechanical pressure allowing the printers to create carbon and carbonless copies. A tiny metal rod, also known as a wire or pin is used to produce the dots that is driven back and forth and up and down by the power of small electromagnets or solenoids. Dot matrix printers are also called line printers since they produce lines of printed text anytime.
In the present times, dot matrix printers are no longer the top choice for businesses, but their reliability and cost-effectiveness make them ideal for specific requirements and certain kinds of businesses. Additionally, they offer more advantages which make businesses choose dot matrix printers over laser or inkjet printers.
6 advantages of using a dot matrix printer: Although the technology used by dot matrix printers is older, these printers still offer many advantages that make them a more attractive choice over the other printers with newer technologies in the market. Therefore, many businesses prefer these printers for their printing requirements.
1. Low cost – Dot matrix printers are much cheaper than the other printers available in the market. They have a lower cost of ownership compared to other printers. This makes dot matrix printers an ideal choice for businesses with lower budgets.
The cost of printouts from dot matrix printers is also much lower. It is estimated that the cost per page for laser printers is 6 times that for dot matrix printers. This cost-effectiveness makes them an ideal choice for businesses that need low printing costs rather than high-quality printing.
2. Ink ribbon – Ink ribbons used for printing are inexpensive and last longer. They do not dry out quickly whether placed in front of the print head or stored in the casing. This helps reduce the cost of maintenance of dot matrix printers.
In the case of dot matrix printers, the quality of the printout fades gradually instead of coming to a halt suddenly. This gives the users ample time to replace the ink ribbon before any crisis related to the printing requirements of any business.
3. Durability and low maintenance – Compared to laser printers or inkjet printers, dot matrix printers are much better equipped to withstand harsh climatic and environmental conditions. Laser printers are more sensitive to environmental conditions like humidity, dust, extreme temperatures, and static electricity and thus require more maintenance.
On the other hand, the construction and rugged design of dot matrix printers allow them to endure harsh external conditions better. It also faces lesser problems and requires lower maintenance which equates to fewer downtimes and maintenance costs for the businesses.
4. Energy consumption – Laser printers require hot rollers to heat up to start printing, and this process consumes a lot of energy. This is not the case for dot matrix printers and thus, they end up consuming 3 times lesser energy than laser printers saving money for businesses and making them more sustainable.
Dot matrix printers are more environmentally friendly and affordable since the electrical consumption and the volume usage of consumables that they discard are much lesser as compared to the other types of printers in the market.
5. Print quality – One prime advantage of dot matrix printers, unlike other non-impact printers is their ability to print on multi-part stationery and make carbon copies. They can easily make carbon copies of a particular printout in large volumes as per requirements, improving the efficiency of any business’s printing needs.
Thus, dot matrix printers offer a much lesser complex solution for printing multi-part forms compared to implementation of requirements for multiple separate sheets of output through laser printers.
6. Continuity – The dot matrix printers can use continuous papers instead of requiring individual sheets of paper. This allows them to use paper constantly without any interruptions as compared to other printers requiring a regular paper shift.
These printers use tractor-fed continuous forms paper, which is a much more reliable paper-feeding system than cut-sheet media. It also helps the printers to maintain the order of the sheets since they are continuously feeding, reducing the requirement for frequent paper changes. They also come with built-in software that helps them arrange the papers as per the user’s requirements.
In this world of modern technology, the use of dot matrix printers has become very limited since they are designed and developed with the help of technology that has become obsolete. But many industries still have specific requirements that can be met by only dot matrix printers and not the other printers in the market with the latest technologies.
Dot matrix printers are inexpensive, affordable, portable, reliable, and durable. They also can handle substantial volumes of printing jobs with speed and accuracy. Thus, businesses with requirements for large printing volumes and lower printing quality can opt for these printers. Such requirements can be observed in railways, banks, electricity bills, educational institutes, courier delivery services, and many more.
TVS Electronics provides a range of dot matrix printers that can give your business an inexpensive but reliable option for your printing needs. You can make the ideal choice as per your specific requirements.